The Many Benefits of Playing (Paraphrased)
In addition to the emotional and social income gained by making music, playing the piano offers educational and wellness benefits.
- Music study may be linked to higher brain function in learning.
- Learning to play the piano can help your child be more successful in school and develop skills that they can use their entire life:
- One study showed that children who took piano lessons for three years scored higher than their peers on tests of general and spatial cognitive development – the very faculties needed for performance in math and engineering and other pursuits.
- Students who took piano lessons along with computer puzzle-solving did better in math in one study.
- Among older Americans, research has suggested that keyboard lessons significantly reduced anxiety, depression and loneliness.
- Playing the piano strengthens eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills.
- Kids who take piano lessons learn a lot about discipline and the rewards of hard work.
Reprinted fron the American Music Conference.